Friday, September 01, 2006

Is It Me Or Are Drivers Getting Younger These Days?!!


That is of course my youngest (and loudest!!) son behind the wheel of our temporary company car. Stephen got a Vectra, had a mad bit of worrying he was going to get a Zafira, Stephen and people carriers do NOT get on, we had the Honda one once at my insistence (despite having 3 kids we didn't need one as we only have one car seat!!) and I swear he used to almost cry every time he drove it, so we sold it and I've never seen anyone so happy in all my life especially as the buyer paid about 10k in cash. Anyway, we have a 2 year old Vectra, came to the end of it's 2 year lease yesterday and Stephen has it for 8 weeks until the car he orders turns up. So have to go to the dealer tomorrow to have a look see and then he'll put an order in on Monday. I quite like the idea of looking for a brand spanking new car we don't have to pay for! We will sell the Ibiza as it's worth the most and we may sell the Beamer, but because of the vandalism it's gonna need repairing, by Stephen himself or professionally which could be expensive (because it's a Beamer!!!).

Here's the new car. Not very impressive, but the blond behind the wheel is a real stunner!!

Thank you for all your lovely comments about Jack's hair (though above he's a sweaty head having been asleep on the leather settee when his dad got home!). Stephen went ballistic, personally I think he likes the attention Jack gets when we're out and about, though he hates the other dads calling him Curly Temple! So he wasn't happy about the new cut, but it's flicked back out at the sides again so it's just a shorter version of what he had before (PHEW!!).

Had a weird feeling earlier, was thinking about the boys going to school next week and whether I had everything and just the thought of them going to secondary school set me of having a panic attack. It wasn't a bad one, just really bad palpitations, but I'm actually very very nervous about them going. I don't worry about them coping, they are very very bright and will do really well and adapt quite easily, but I just worry about whether they have got everything they need, the right sort of stuff, god forbid it should be obvious to the rest of the kids I bought their shirts in Primarni (primark!!). As well as this it's like I've been made redundant, it's difficult to explain, but soon it will be christmas and then the boys will be 12 just after and I feel like that's it, I'm no longer their mummy I'm their mother, the one who if they happen to be seen with me will cause them no end of embarrassment and no doubt teasing. I never went to secondary school, I was a boarder at a prep school til I was 13 then graduated to the college thereafter and public/private schools are very different, especially when you are a boarder, you don't get letters to take home, you have to go to school on Saturdays!! So secondary school is as much a milestone for me as it is my children. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well, but I guess the closest way to describe what I'm feeling is "bereft". All of you with lickle ones and no big ones, please please please enjoy every flippin second because before you know it you are arguing in shops over designer trainers and in a constant battle of wills! In 4 months from now I will be saying "next year I'll have two teenagers in the house"!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Jack looks right at home behind the wheel there! I used to get company lease cars too and had a Vectra once, great fun getting new cars to drive round in without paying full whack (though tax can be a bit steep can't it).

I heed your warning about treasuring having a tot. I can't imagine how much your life gets turned upside down when you've got school runs, etc. I'm a fully institutionalised SAHM!

Saturday, September 02, 2006 4:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw I'm so glad his curls are still there if shorter! I hope my boy is a curly tot too!

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home